[Coco] A Basic09 Query

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 09:45:56 EDT 2019

I realized something as I was driving. When Basic09 came out, 6809 systems
had reached 32k memory. I'm not sure if Basic09 ran on a 32k machine,
because as far as I remember it required a 64k machine even then. I do
remember having a much smaller max workspace size on my Korean coco2. It is
possible that some of this "unnecessary" code was included to make smaller
code in your procedures. Example is square. SQ(myVal) is either 2 bytes
(integer) or 5 bytes (real) and a single byte token, total 3 or 6 bytes.
myVal * myVal is 4 bytes or 10 bytes plus 1 byte for token, total 5 or 11
bytes. This could add up in a longer procedure that required many such
calculations. Just my thoughts, but it makes sense. When the coco3 came
out, the need wasn't so great.

Wayne