[Coco] The dire condition of software documentation..

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis at maltedmedia.com
Mon Aug 12 09:58:45 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-12 07:55, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> Copyright issues are never vague.  The holder being out of business
> has no effect on the Copyright, legally.  The item is still
> Copyrighted.

Correct. The copyright office has never made a determination of when or
if orphaned works lose their protection, and until it does, copyright
exists in all those works.

I wanted to quote a poem in a book I wrote about 10 years ago. It took
me months to trace the last person to hold the copyright (transferred
from author to newspaper to book publisher to bookstore to retired
owner). I found the owner in his mid-90s, with no heirs. He gave
permission. Good thing, as there was no right to reprint it if it was
orphaned by his death.

Dennis