[Coco] Compiling NitrOS9.

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 17:18:45 EDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Hi all,-
>
> I's been a while since I tried to compile Nitros9, and as I wanted to
> develop a drive for DragonMMC, I decided to get the source and do a
> trial build to make sure things still worked.....
>
> I'm working on cygwin under Windows 7 x64. Though before when I worked
> on this I had all the tools on Linux, so willing to try that too.

Hi Phill!

[me catching up on weeks of list e-mail]

In my experience the compiling runs 20x faster on Linux, so running
Linux (even in an virtual machine) could be something to look at if
your rebuilding a lot. I still haven't heard of anyone trying the
Ubuntu subsystem available in Windows 10. Anyone?

> So I went and go the NOS9 source from sorceforge along with toolshed and

>From the paths I see below, it looks like you found the sources for
the 3.3.0 release, which is a few years back. As Tim pointed out, you
should instead look at the latest development sources in the mercurial
repo. Ideally it shouldn't be too difficult to find it, going from
www.nitros9.org then Development site -> Code or Official Wiki ->
Building NitrOS9. But let me know if you have suggestions on making
this easier to find.

> lwasm. I have compiled the lwasm sources (4.16) under cygwin and
> installed them. (make / make install).

It would have worked with lwasm 4.15 :) Because of broken backwards
compatibility, v3.3.0 can only be compiled with lwtools 4.15, whereas
the newest code can be built with any recent lwtools version.

> However when I try to build nos9, by changing into it's directory and
> typing make from my cygwin bash prompt, ig builds part of it and then
> craps out compiling edit.asm :
>
> lwasm --6309 --format=os9
> --pragma=pcaspcr,nosymbolcase,condundefzero,undefextern,dollarnotlocal
> --includedir=.
> --includedir=/cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/defs
> -DNOS9VER=3 -DNOS9MAJ=3 -DNOS9MIN=0 -DNOS9DBG=0 -Dcoco1=1
> --includedir=/cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/3rdparty/packages/basic09
> /cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/level1/cmds/edit.asm -oedit
> /cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/level1/cmds/edit.asm(17) :
> WARNING : Not supported IFP1
> /cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/level1/cmds/edit.asm:00017
>          ifp1
>
> /cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/level1/cmds/edit.asm(478) :
> ERROR : Bad register 'u'
> /cygdrive/e/retro/Dragon/nos9/nitros9-v3.3.0/level1/cmds/edit.asm:00478
>          pshu  u
>

> Plus a load more instances of the bad register message which is
> understandable as you generally can't push a stack register onto itself.....
>
> Any hints much appreciated, including...this is the wrong place you
> should ask on some other list / forum :)

This list should be the best place to ask about NitrOS-9. There is
also a "Developer" forum on SF, but not being used much, e-mail works
better for most people I'd guess.

Cheers,
Tormod