[Coco] Disk Drive FD 501 Floppy

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Apr 15 03:27:55 EDT 2019

On Monday 15 April 2019 02:33:04 Arthur Flexser wrote:

> Gene, why would bad capacitors improve after 25 minutes of operation,
> a is the case here?

ESR often drops with an elevated temp in the caps.

> I'd have figured that that was a sure sign of a lubrication problem,
> with dried up lubricant softening after a while with the heat of
> operation.

You could well be right Art, at its age that lube has got to be both
badly contaminated, and at least as hard as a cold crayon by now, So a
quart of paint store alcohol and half a box of q-tips (never re-wet a
q-tip, toss it and get a clean one) followed by re-application of auto
chassis grease might be just the ticket.  If its a spiral screw driving
the carriage, make sure the spiral is clean all the way to the bottom of
the groove the wire rides in. Ditto the rods the carriage slides on,
make them lox clean then re-lube. Light oil can be used, but I find the
drives are markedly quieter if the rods have an invisible coat of
chassis grease instead, and it will likely outlast the oil. Something
like wd-40 might work but it dries to a wax coating in a day or so,
which isn't a great lube.

Thanks for the reminder that it could be mechanical.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)