[Coco] Chip Availability???

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Apr 6 19:52:29 EDT 2019

On Saturday 06 April 2019 16:08:49 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Everyone keeps saying the "salt" chip is not available but I thought I
> remembered Gene Heskett ordering one from China 2 or 3 (maybe
> more)years ago.

More like 5 years I think, Bill.  It seems to work ok, but a word of
warning/caution. I had a pl2303 usb-serial adapter in the drivewire
path, and it was apparently oscillating at the full coco3 drivewire
speed. One of the gates in the salt serves as the bilateral driver for
the bit banger, and a continuous full rail to rail oscillation cooked
that gate, which is why I had to replace it.

That pl2303 was the last one, like the others, its been filed, and
replaced with an FDTI(FTDI?) adapter, which has no such problems.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)