[Coco] W A R N I N G!!!

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Thu Sep 20 11:25:09 EDT 2018

I would be surprised if the docking stations or external connections had
anything to do with the symptoms you describe.

Files disappearing on a file system while the remainder of the system
seems intact (directory tree, etc.) is almost certainly due to bugs in
the operating system itself (device driver or file system driver,
probably) or yanking a drive before unmounting it properly in the
operating system. You really do need to unmount drives properly in the
operating system to make sure all data cached by the OS is actually written.

I assume each of these docking stations connect to a single eSATA port?
If so, those docking stations are almost certainly SATA port
multipliers. It's possible the driver for the SATA chipset responsible
for whatever eSATA port you connected the docking station to isn't
handling the port multiplier correctly, but it seems unlikely.

It's also possible you have a flakey cable somewhere, or a bad docking
station, which is causing drives to randomly disconnect from the system
and then reconnect.

In both of those cases, however, I would expect operating system level
errors to appear, and much more random file system corruption.