[Coco] Is the 6809 flawed?

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Sat Sep 8 01:22:01 EDT 2018

Yes this controversy is silly; ASL and LSL are the same.

But I think I may have found a real hardware bug in the 6809 a few years ago.
I found this anomalous behavior when I was working on DynoSprite. I used the
SYNC instruction to wait for a vertical retrace interrupt after completing a
frame, and it worked perfectly in the emulator. But sometimes, on a real CoCo
3, the CPU will hang and never start running again. To just get it out the
door I modified the code to poll and not use SYNC. But some day I will track
this down. It's near the bottom of my long list of stuff to do, but when I
finally get around to it I'll rig up my logic analyzer to the CoCo and get to
the bottom of this.

Richard