[Coco] A GOOD Monitor choice...

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 09:53:42 EDT 2018

 Sorry Joe, I inadvertently sent the reply to your email. Here is is again for the CoCo list:

Hi Joe, thanks for the information.

Maybe two years back I saw a 7/8" monitor fr sale on eBay, different from yours. This monitor has the VGA, HDMI and composite inputs and was being marketed as a monitor for the Raspberry Pi. However, it was just the display panel, no case. Still, at $35usd I thought it was a bargain and purchased it.

At that time I was working on a retro project which was the implementation of a fully functional Tiny BASIC computer using the Arduino platform with composite video out. My idea was to modify the BASIC to support (at least) Color BASIC. When I got the display I found out that the HDMI input was pre-selected and needed a small control panel board which was not included to select other inputs. I tested the HDMI input and it worked beautifully <g>. But I was not able to locate the control panel (which was a PCB with button connected to the display via a ribbon cable).

I hacked a solution and was able to select the composite in. It worked nicely with the composite out of my cable box, my VCR (yup, I still had one back then) and my video camera, but I got a constant horizontal roll when I connected it to the Tiny BASIC computer. So in the end, I was not able to use the display. I have thought of selling it,. but it works nicely and I hope to use it in a future project.

I am glad yours worked out of the box :-) Salvador

PS: FYI, the item I bought is similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-1024-600-LCD-Display-for-Raspberry-Pi-HDMI-VGA-Driver-Board/202448416252