[Coco] First CoCo

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:18:14 EDT 2018

Ha. My "1st Coco" was a 6802 prototyping kit my brother gave me --
Microchroma 68. Shared the 6847, but it had a true serial port. Hand
soldered, memory expansion designed by me and hand-wired pint-to-point. It
should be in storage across the ocean.

My first "real Coco" was a board laid out by a friend of my brother. I
hand-soldered that one, too. He had something he needed it for, so he has
it now.

My first real Coco was a 2 that I used in some of my university classes,
targeting the 6809 for software tools, compiler, and a mini-OS. Gave that
to a friend, with disk drives and some BBS, e-mail, and typing software. He
may still have it.

My first Coco 3 is probably in storage across the ocean with some bare
drives and a 3rd party disk controller that some of you would recognize if
I could remember the name, and the multipak, serial pak, and some game
carts, OS-9 level 2, pascal, C, etc. I sometimes regret not bringing it
with me.