[Coco] List Etiquette

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri Oct 19 14:41:54 EDT 2018

On 10/19/2018 12:02 PM, Spencer via Coco wrote:
>   I don't use gmail but yahoo editor; I'll look into an option to see if it trims; otherwise it'll be a pain to manually do it on for every reply. And as I mentioned in an earlier post I saw the Archives link.  Coco Archives
> Thanks
> Oops almost forgot to manually trim below.

I can appreciate folks' desire to keep the long trail of previous
email "hygiene" for 30 years.  While it may be a "pain", it's considered
part of the effort folks exercise when they utilize electronic mail.

Specifically, such "netiquette" is formally defined in Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comment (RFC) 1855

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt (bottom of page 3)

     - Be brief without being overly terse.  When replying to a message,
       include enough original material to be understood but no more. It
       is extremely bad form to simply reply to a message by including
       all the previous message: edit out all the irrelevant material.

Though the name may suggest otherwise, a formally published RFC is
actually an in-force set of rules.  Our electronic mail system, as you
are using to send your content, was formally specified in RFC821 (1982),
obsoleted by RFC2821 (2001), which was in turn obsoleted by RFC 5321
(2008), and in turn was updated by RFC7504.

As you can see, RFC1855 is dated 1995, so it's 23 years old.  The
Internet only works if people adhere to the RFCs.  Where machines must
do the work, they enforce the RFC rules.  People, in turn, must do their
part.

Regardless of how you feel about it personally, The list owner is the
ruler of the list, and he expects list trimming.  Therefore, the
continued discussion of its merits is inappropriate.  Find a manual or
automated way to trim your content you post to the list, or unsubscribe
and participate in other forums that allow long form content.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com