[Coco] SDCX Questions #2..........

Joe Schutts j_schutts at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 00:42:51 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone… Again,

Well this is a newone for me…

I posted a series ofquestions some time ago and (surprisingly) I got NO RESPONSES. Gofigure…

So I thought that I’d post the questions again hopingthat someone (or anyone) would respond (this time)… We’ll seewhat happens...

I have a fewquestions that I need answered, so I thought I’d ask them here whereeveryone has some ideas…

First off, I have aLARGE suitcase filled with about 30-40 boxes of “FLIPPIES”. Those(in case you're wondering) are 40 Track Single-Sided Floppy Disks that have been modified to beRead/Written (or used) on BOTH sides.

On these disks areBAS Files, EXE Files, along with TXT Files, GIF Files, and all othertypes of files. All of which I would like to transfer over to eitherSD Cards or CF Cards or something else. Eventually I hope to transferthem all over to my SDCX unit (which I have yet to use).

I also have a numberof 32MEG SD Cards as well as a bunch of 256MEG CFCards that I can usewith an IDE Adapter attached to the CoCo 3 using a MPI Adapter. Here's my questions...

1. Out of the SDCards (32MEG) or the CF Cards (256Meg), which ones can I access byusing the SDCX Explorer and will I be able to access ALL of the spacefrom within DOS and not be forced to use OS-9??? By the way, I have aROM with HB-DOS already burned on it.

2. Now I know thatthere are a number of formats that are supported by the SDCX Adapter.They include the “DSK” format and another one that starts offwith the letter “C” (not sure of the name) and possibly others.What I need to know is, WHICH format is the best to use with the SDCXAdapter???

3. Is there anyparticular program (or programs) that I will need to use in order tomake my “DSK” or the other image format???

4. What are theadvantages/disadvantages of these different formats over the others???

5. I plan to use thesame numbering format I used on my (Flippy) disks. For example “GAME001A”and “GAME001B” for the back side of disk #1. Or “GRAP001A” or“GRAP001B” or “MISC001A” or “UTIL001A”. This way, it willbe much easier to match up the individual disks with the image files.Now doing this, how many image files can I expect to get on a 32MEGSD Card or a 256MEG CF Card (IF I decide to use these)???

6. If I use the CFCards (as my MAIN Storage), can I access these cards from within theSDCX Explorer Program or will I need to switch over to OS-9 in orderto access these cards???

7. If I use “DSK”images, is there an easy way (using either a Program and/or aCommand) to join 2 or more “DSK” Images together into one “DSK”Image???

If you have anyanswers for these questions, please number them so I can match theanswers up with the questions…

Thanks everyone foryour help…

Joe...