[Coco] Relocatable ROM monitor

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Oct 3 04:01:50 EDT 2018

Ok, here's a test version for you. This monitor has been modified for 32
columns and it is relocatable but it still relies on ROM calls (POLCAT &
CHROUT) for keyboard and display.  The default load address is $0000 so
you will probably want to specify an offset or else it will overwrite
BASIC stuff in page zero RAM. Just to test it you might try:  LOADM
"RMON", &H4000.  This will load it to $4000.  Then EXEC the program and
it will display "COCO RELOCATABLE MONITOR".

The commands are:

<L> List memory. Because of the narrow display memory will be dumped
progressively in hex at 8 bytes per line.  A typical line might look
like this:  4028:FF 1A 50 4F 86 7E A7 8C.  The first four digits are the
hex start address.  The colon separates that from the data bytes.  There
are eight data bytes that follow and are represented in hex with a space
between each byte.  Therefore $4028 => $FF, $4029 => $1A, etc.  Memory
will list indefinitely until a key on the keyboard is pressed.  You may
specify the start address of the dump like this:   4000L    That will
start the memory dump at $4000.

<V> Displays the version number (currently 0.1)

<W> Woof!  I'm alive.

<,> Display previous memory location.

<.> Display next memory location.

<X> Exit to BASIC

<G> Go. Execute program in memory at current address.

To display a specific memory location type:  XXXX/    where XXXX is the
hex address of the location you wish to view. The monitor will respond
by displaying XXXX/VV   where VV is the value in hex at that memory
location.  You may immediately edit that location by typing:    ":VV"
(without the quotes) that will replace the data at the current memory
location with the new value, VV (in hex).  You may also type as long of
a string as you like this way:   ":VV VV VV VV VV" (without the quotes)
and each successive memory address will receive the data successively
that you have typed.  So if I wanted to store 01 02 03 04 05 at address
$6000 I would type:   6000:01 02 03 04 05  and those numbers would be
stored in memory successively starting at $6000.

If you have a program in memory at address $2000 you can type 2000G   to
execute the program.

If you have questions just let me know.  If you like the program and
feel comfortable with it then let me know and I will write the
appropriate routines for scanning the keyboard and displaying to the
screen so the program will be completely self-sufficient without needing
to call the routines in ROM.

Dave

Download disk image here: http://www.davebiz.com/files/RMON.DSK