[Coco] Help with my CoCo FDD

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Nov 21 05:11:00 EST 2018

On Wednesday 21 November 2018 01:08:24 Walter Zambotti wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> I have tried the cable both ways now and I definitely had it the
> correct way.
>
> Plugging it in the other way causes the led to light and the motor to
> spin even with the controller is disconnected from the CoCo.
>
> I re-clamped both cables but no difference.
>
> Re-cleaned all contacts with newspaper and blew out all the
> connectors.
>
> Jumpers settings tried:
>
> None - nothing starts
 (correct)
> D0 - only dskini0 starts
( which is wrong, mx missing)
> D1 - only dskini1 starts
(ditto)
> D0 & D1 - both dskini0 & dskini1 start
(wrong, both drives will attempt to put read data on the data line)
> MX both start
(runs motors, but without a Dn, no data to data line)
> D0 + MX : both start
(correct, only one drive, D0, will rx/tx data)
> D1 + MX : both start
(also correct, but data will rx/tx from D1)

> All the above combinations + Term : No change to above
>
> When I say start the motor comes on and the head returns to zero and
> then performs 34 steps and then returns to zero before getting an I/O
> err.

(classic case of dirty/worn out head. assuming the command was a
dskini0/1)

> Also driveX + dir causes the FD to seek forwards and backwards 3 or 4
> times before failing.
again, dirty head/worn out heads/bad disk)

> So I thinks it's formatting but fails when trying to read.
Paint store alcohol, wet long q-tip, Sherwood from drug store, gently
head heads. Give time to dry before re-inserting disk, minute or so or
use a clean dry q-tip.

If clamping rossette is collapsed from old age, maybe the disk itself is
not spinning in the case of a 5.25 disk, but 3.5's are keyed and will
spin anyway if motor turns.

> I'm stumped!
>
> I have determined that one of the chinon drives is faulty as the
> stepping motor refuses to move the head towards track 0.

The rods the head carriage slides on need cleaned and re-oiled, light but
non-drying oil, 3-n-1 or sewing machine, possibly the driveing screw is
caked full of hardened 30 year old grease, clean until the screws spiral
groove is shiny clear to the bottom of the groove and relube, chassis
grease suggested, or vaseline maybe. Check the wire that is the groove
follower for noticeable wear. I've seen then worn plumb off in Amiga's.

> Short of scoping pins for signal output I'm not sure what to do.

Thats the next step after the clean and lube. And it sounds like the data
pin is what you need to scope. For a dskini you should see data from the
controller while its stepping in, and when it steps back out to do the
verify phase, you should see data from the drive, and it sounds as if
the drive isn't returning usable data if that where you are getting the
io error.

There is also a possibility the controllers 1773 is blown. At the tv
station, with a 255 foot pyrod tower for a lightning rod 30 feet out the
back door with a 4" wide copper ground strap interconnecting the tower
to house ground, our stuff took a beating when mother nature got upset
because somebody called that stuff butter. And the coco's do not have
grounded power cords. I lost 1773's in the smaller, later controllers
several times. That chip is IIRC an NMOS tech chip, and they can grow a
purple plague that kills them just from old age and average humidity
alone. In that case, see if you can find a Fujitsu MB-8877 as its a CMOS
tech chip and not subject to that particular failure. And I think its a
drop in for a WD-1793 in the 40 pin pkg. All are going to be very old
stock and hard to find.  Check the graveyard electronics site as a last
resort.
> Can anyone recommend a replacement FD and controller! It needs to
> support 42 tracks!!!

Ouch.

> Walter

Cheers, Gene Heskett