[Coco] Battery-Backed RTCs for CoCo?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Nov 10 19:34:41 EST 2018

On Sat, 11/10/18, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

 Subject: [Coco] Battery-Backed RTCs for CoCo?
 To: "CoCoList Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
 Date: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 3:55 PM

 What are/were the most popular battery-backed
 real time clock accessories for the Color Computer family?

Mark,

 It is also possible to create your own RTC which is what I did.

 I installed a DS1216 SmartWatch (was sold by Radio Shack) in an TRS-80 RS-232 pack after removing the ROM which I never used. It is a little tricky as the SmartWatch comes in a larger 28-pin base than the RS-232 ROM socket; 24-pin.
 I also wrote my own software so the RTC could be used from both Basic and OS-9.

 As an aside, the battery in the SmartWatch died and I was able to break some chip pins and add an external battery.

Robert