[Coco] 8 inch floppy disk with coco1

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Nov 8 21:13:26 EST 2018

On Thursday 08 November 2018 20:37:00 rietveld rietveld wrote:

> 8 inch floppy disk with coco1
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEOI-fWiOqI

Thats  neat, you had to slow the drive to 300 revs from 360, so that  8"
double-sided drive becomes a 720k if both sides are used.  But I expect
you'd have to be running os9 to do that. Dmode it for an 80 track ds
format.  But I've no clue how many more tracks you could squeeze onto
the disk.  Those drives were legendarily hard on the center hole of the
disk when the disk sleeve got old & dry. By now, the clamping rossette
has probably been under pressure so long its fingers have collapsed so
the disk centering suffers.  So it works until you take the disk out. I
tried to buy a bag of the rossettes from the maker but that shelf was
long since empty. This was in a Marque character generator back in the
80's. I baby'd that thing a good 10 years past its use by date. We
eventually found a kit that put a 40? meg Syquest drive in it, which
worked pretty good but was no faster than the 8" floppy. Seems like an
eon ago now. 30 years at least.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)