[Coco] 2019 CoCoFEST! Theme and Art Work

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Nov 4 00:46:19 EDT 2018

On Saturday 03 November 2018 23:41:01 William Astle wrote:

> On 2018-11-03 8:57 p.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 November 2018 19:25:12 William Astle wrote:
> >> <snip - Jack Benny references>
> >
> > Chuckle, William you are giving away your age if you remember all
> > that.
>
> Nah. I'm not old enough to remember Jack Benny on either radio or
> television (well, first run, anyway).

I am, just turned 84 last month.  Its been one heck of a ride most of the
time.

> But I do have a SiriusXM
> subscription and there is this channel on there called "Radio
> Classics". (What do you think I listen to on the way to and from the
> 'fest? :) )

;-) My newer ford 4wd PU has it, but subscribing on SS is a way to blow
the budget. the local radio station tends to do quite a bit of that,
usually with a bluegrass flavor.  And I keep him on the air.  But people
like me area dying breed. And I don't seem to be able to drum up any
interest in doing broadcast engineering amongst the younger set. So
there's no one nipping at my heels to take over when I fall over for the
last time.

> I've actually been listening to "old radio shows" for more than a
> quarter century, though, either on a local radio station that airs
> them between 11PM and 1AM every night or on SiriusXM. What I find
> amazing is how many products or companies that advertised on those
> shows still exist today in one form or another.

Yeah, some of them seem to be pretty close to immortal. Ovaltine used to
be advertised in the 40's, and I have a jar of it in the carousel yet
when I want to peg my sugar meter. Colgate, Palmolive, Wheaties, all
that stuff is still on the shelf at your local grocery peddlers place.
Kind of an anchor to a more interesting time in ones life, a familiar
face if you will.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)