[Coco] working with the sdc

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 3 16:13:15 EDT 2018

On Wednesday 31 October 2018 21:51:39 rietveld rietveld wrote:

> hi
>
> I just sent you the sdc manual and the latest firmware to update the
> sdc ________________________________
> From: Coco <coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com> on behalf of Gene Heskett
> <gheskett at shentel.net> Sent: October 31, 2018 9:18 PM
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
> Subject: [Coco] working with the sdc
>
> Greetings all;
>
> I thought, since my 1Gb Seagates are out of commish, I thought this
> might be a good time to make my first run sdc kit work,
>
> It seems to be recognized at power up by signing on as SDC 1.2, but
> anything typed, like a "dir"return is a sN error (IIRC)
>

> All 4 of the dip switches are "OFF" th red led blinks once at power
> up.
>
> So I guess what I need is a startup tutorial. Is there such a critter?

Unforch, <rietveld rietveld <rietveldh at hotmail.com> it appears that a
working rsdos version of DW is required, something I have never had as
my hdb-dos is too old.

Installing SETUP.DSK to a 2Gb sd is accomplished in just a few
milliseconds, probably destructively to the sd as this system has never
been able to access a 256 byte sectored device since I built it a decade
ago, the floppy hardware, when asked to read a 256 byte sectored device
has from the gitgo, locked the machine up tight, responding only to the
hardware reset on the front panel, even the 4 second timer on the power
button doesn't run.  So there isn't any way I have at my disposal, to
actually copy SETUP.DSK to a floppy disk and run it from that floppy
booting to HDB-DOS 1.A in the floppy as the disk basic.

With this dd written sd in it, it still logs in as sdc v1.2, but anything
typed is an error.

So whats next? These are 2Gb sd's, same size as came in the sdc when I
bought it out of the first run. And not having os9 available, I can't
even rzsz it to a coco floppy. I need to bootstrap this from scratch,
from hardware that freezes this machine when asked to deal with 256 byte
sector.

I need a beer, but its too early for my 1 a day.  Near beer at that since
I'm a DM-II.

Suggestion/bricks thrown at an old basic challenged dummy? Never figured
I have to back clear up to the tsr-15 days to get this started again.
Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)