[Coco] CoCoSDC under NitrOS9

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu May 31 01:15:23 EDT 2018

Well, I started with Allen’s 128 MB image and I used a binary editor under Windows and expanded it to 1 GB.  Then I put the dsk file on the SD card and mounted it.  From OS9 I dmode’d the descriptor for /sd1 and changed the # of cylinders from 007F to 07FF.  Then I formatted it (OS9 format verified the size of 4+ million sectors before I started the format).  Then I did a cobbler /sd1 which correctly copied the boot file to it but had an error because it couldn’t correctly write the boot track.  Then I put the SD card in a reader and started diddling around with a binary editor in Windows.  The boot track always resides at the logical position of track 34 (sector $264??) so I found the boot track on the 128 MB image (starts with the letters ‘OS’ or $4F53).  I copied the boot track out of the 128 MB image and into the 1 GB image.  You have to remember that even though the boot track gets put at the same offset (sector $264??) the disk allocation map is different because the 1GB image uses 8 sectors/cluster instead of one.  So you have to manually calculate where to set the bits in the allocation map so the operating system won’t overwrite the boot track.

Anyway, I’m just going mostly by memory but I guess I could do a write-up describing exactly how I did it.

http://www.davebiz.com/images/1GB.jpg

Sent from my iPad