[Coco] 8 inch drive on a coco limitations

rietveld rietveld rietveldh at hotmail.com
Sat May 19 00:00:37 EDT 2018

So it seems that the 8 inch disk will format to "35 track 158k", but not all of the tracks seem to be useable

I get free 68 when doing a FREE(0) but when I copy a large file I get an IO error, several small programs seem to be ok.

This is not really a deal breaker for me since i never intended to use it as a primary storage device.

Since I already have a 8 inch drive setup on my Model2 i will just leave it conected to my 2mb coco3.   I only use that coco with an old skool SCSI harddrive that boots HDBDOS 4 in 1 from floppy .

 Since the HDBDOS boot file is so small it does write and read from the 8 inch disk without error.

The drive is overkill for this purpose but it will definitely raise some eyebrows at Tandy Assembly this year.