[Coco] 1702 monitor

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 17 16:45:07 EDT 2018

On Thursday 17 May 2018 16:18:03 Mike Delyea wrote:

> I have a Commodore 1702 monitor.  It has composite for the front
> connectors and s-video on the rear.  Has anybody got the s-video
> working with a coco3?

No huge reason why it wouldn't, s-video is just a high res b&w signal,
with the color subcarrier on a separate conductor so they are never
mixed. Once mixed, it takes very tightly tuned comb filters based on
precision delay lines to separate them again, and lots of the resolution
is lost in the process. But because the coco's outputs are not
interlaced, the comb filter doesn't work, but the simple one in most
tv's still kills the resolution.  s-video is not high def, but still
noticeably better than composite.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)