[Coco] DECB development under OS9

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Fri May 11 18:02:51 EDT 2018

I have a possible project that I'd like to get a little input on.  I
would like to use NitrOS9 as my development platform for programs that
will run under DECB.  The reason for this is that NitrOS9 is well suited
in that it has plenty of disk space and several assembler options
available.  It would be easy to include the headers inside of the source
code for compatibility with the DECB LOADM format as I've already done
this with a cross assembler under DOS/Windows.  I'm not really keen on
the idea of having to develop on a PC, transfer the output file via
drivewire to the CoCo, and test.

I have a CoCo3 with 512K and I have CoCoSDC that has disk images for
booting NitrOS9 as well as images for DECB.  What I was thinking is that
I could write a utility program that runs under NitrOS9 that would allow
me to copy files back and forth to one of the DECB disk images on the
CoCoSDC.  Maybe it has already been done.  Has anyone ever attempted
this?  If not, is there anyone who would want to give me a little advice
on how, theoretically, it might be done?

I see there is a low level driver for the cocosdc and I'm wondering how
difficult it would be to mount a DECB disk image and access the image as
another drive under NitrOS9.  I realize that because of the difference
in disk format the drive would not be natively read/writeable from
NitrOS9 but as long as all of the virtual sectors were accessible then I
could write a program to access the data/programs in the DECB file
system.  So I guess I'm asking whether it would be feasible to mount one
or more DECB disk images on the CoCoSDC as virtual drives; /SD1, /SD2, etc.

This would allow me to write a program under NitrOS9, assemble it, copy
the DECB format binary to the correct DECB image on the CoCoSDC, then
reboot the computer and test the program out in DECB. Another idea I
have which would be an add-on to this would be a way to actually compile
a NitrOS9 C program and either trap or replace the system calls and have
the program usable under DECB.  I know this is a bit of a stretch but it
might be possible if only certain limited system calls were used from
the C program.

Dave