[Coco] TRS-80 Coco Retro Computer Storage Showdown Questions..........

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 12:23:12 EDT 2018

On 07-May-18 04:28, Joe Schutts via Coco wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

<< SNIP >>

> Now these are the questions that I need to know the answers to.
>
> 1. Whether or not I can access the CF-Card Reader from within the
> CoCo SDC (or any program inserted unto the SD Card within it)???

The 'DIR -' command lets you read the Flash Storage Device's Directory.

> 2. Can I use that NEW Menu program (SDC-Explorer or whatever it's
> called) to access the CF-Cards???

SDC-Explorer lets you navigate and select .DSK Images on the Flash
Storage Device and Mount them to a Drive that the CoCo can recognize..

> 3. I also need to know WHAT is the highest capacity SD Card the SDC
> will support? (Both under DOS and/or OS-9)???

IIRC, Zippster mentioned on facebook recently, a 32GB SD Card was what
he used.   64GB might be the Max..

> 4. I also need to know WHAT is the highest capacity CF-Card I can use
> (BOTH under DOS and OS-9 as well). Right now I have 5-256 Meg CF
> Cards ready to go (IF they'll work)???

The Max Size of the Flash Storage Device is limited by the AT Mega 328P
Processor..

> 5. Is there a limitation on the number of SUB-Directories I can use
> on either the SD-Cards OR the CF-Cards when using that SDC-Explorer
> program???

There is Always a Limitation, the question is will you reach it with
"your quest".

IIRC, the Files and Subdirectories need to follow the MS-DOS 8.3 Naming
Standard.  I would think that MS-DOS Path Lengths are also a reasonable
Limitation, IIRC is 64 Characters...

> I think I've asked all the questions I need answers to. Sorry if I'm
> not making to much sense as I've been up all night long...
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance for every ones help in this matter...

Your Questions are very reasonable....

> Take care...
>
> Joe...
>
> P.S. Just so everyone knows... When I eventually get everything
> transferred over (to either the CF-Cards OR the SD-Cards - whichever
> one works) I plan to upload my entire library collection unto the Web
> for every ones use...
>
> Take care...

MarkO