[Coco] TRS-80 Coco Retro Computer Storage Showdown Questions..........

Joe Schutts j_schutts at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 07:28:45 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,

Recently I downloaded a video off of YouTube called "TRS-80 Coco Retro Computer Storage Showdown" that was very well done and fairly complete, but didn't answer all of my questions I have regrading this title. I was also a little surprised to see that he (TOTALLY) missed the CF-Card Option...

First off let me tell you what hardware I have. I have a:

1 CoCo 3 (512K),
1 CoCo 1 (64K),
1 4-Slot Multi-Pak Interface (upgraded for the CoCo 3),
2-Drive FD-500 Disk System (with Controller),
2-Drive FD-502 Disk System (with Controller),
1 CoCo SDC,
1 J&M Disk Controller, (with HBD-Dos & I believe A-Dos) which I am planning on using with my CoCo 1.
1 Glenside IDE Controller,
and 1 CF-Card Reader/Writer Adapter (for use with the Glenside IDE Controller).

What I am planning to do (and I do mean planning) is to transfer ALL of my floppies (eventually) over to as few of as many CF Cards that I possibly can. The main problem NOW is that I have a FULL suitcase (filled to the brim - with about 20-30 Floppy Cases - each holding roughly 10-15 floppies in each one). I have everything grouped together by genre (like GAMES, UTILITIES, GRAPHICS, OS-9) and so on. I would also like to use this system eventually on the CF Cards (or SD Cards - IF I have to) as well, since it has worked so well for me in the past.

Now these are the questions that I need to know the answers to.

1. Whether or not I can access the CF-Card Reader from within the CoCo SDC (or any program inserted unto the SD Card within it)???

2. Can I use that NEW Menu program (SDC-Explorer or whatever it's called) to access the CF-Cards???

3. I also need to know WHAT is the highest capacity SD Card the SDC will support? (Both under DOS and/or OS-9)???

4. I also need to know WHAT is the highest capacity CF-Card I can use (BOTH under DOS and OS-9 as well). Right now I have 5-256 Meg CF Cards ready to go (IF they'll work)???

5. Is there a limitation on the number of SUB-Directories I can use on either the SD-Cards OR the CF-Cards when using that SDC-Explorer program???

I think I've asked all the questions I need answers to. Sorry if I'm not making to much sense as I've been up all night long...

Anyway, thanks in advance for every ones help in this matter...

Take care...

Joe...

P.S. Just so everyone knows... When I eventually get everything transferred over (to either the CF-Cards OR the SD-Cards - whichever one works) I plan to upload my entire library collection unto the Web for every ones use...

Take care...