[Coco] Patching NitrOS9 for 8 meg

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri May 4 09:56:34 EDT 2018

On 5/4/2018 2:32 AM, Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Apparently, Jim's CoCoMEM allows for more than just two sets of task
> registers (as we have in the CoCo 3) so that DAT tables would not be
> needed in the OS9 system because the DAT images for each process could
> be stored in multiple sets of task registers in hardware obviating the
> need for OS9 to lookup and copy the DAT image at every time slice.
I can confirm CoCoMEM and Jr allow for more than 32 sets of task
registers.  However, I think some utilities look at those "copies" in
main memory.  Those apps either need to be patched, or the copies need
to stay and be kept in sync.   If few of these utilities actually need
the copies, it may make sense to patch.