[Coco] Patching NitrOS9 for 8 meg

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Thu May 3 14:18:58 EDT 2018

The free/busy map has more than 2 states (Free, used, Not RAM (for ROM)), so it would be more than 1 bit per block. The process DAT images are for the blocks within a 64K process; the reason that there is enough room for 64 entries was for other OS-9 Level 2 systems with smaller block sized MMU’s (4k blocks took 32 entries, 2k blocks took 64, etc.). Now, theoretically, one could extend into the second byte (currently used to flag unused RAM with the double byte $333E, otherwise it’s $00xx). But there are tables that would have to be expanded (Block map, etc) past 1 byte per entry. Some utilities would need to be re-written to handle expanding into this.
Jim - I can’t remember - for programming which MMU blocks are active in each of the 32 tasks, do you have another byte that one sets to tell the system which task set of MMU blocks you are modifying, using one of the two existing sets ($FFA0-$FFA7 or $FFA8-$FFAF)?

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net