[Coco] More on NitrOS9 and format

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Mar 18 23:14:36 EDT 2018

On Sunday 18 March 2018 20:41:22 Robert Gault wrote:

> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> ><snip>
> > Pretty much anything.  I have tried formating SCSI with the
> > TC^3, IDE's with the Cloud9 Super IDE and lately 8" floppies.
> >
> > Nothing special.  I have tried DMODEing for the 8" or just leaving
> > the parameters the way they are for a standard COCO floppy
> > (which is much smaller).  Anytime I try this using Level2 it gets
> > part way thru and then the screen starts going whacky and then
> > the system freezes.  The whackiness of the screen makes me
> > think something is writing its way thru memory and it continues
> > until it hits something important and then system crashes.
> >
> > I have tried allocating additional memory and this usually causes
> > format to get further along but in the end, always the same.
> >
> > I have tried two totally different COCO3's with the same results.
> >
> > bill
>
> Bill,
>
> Since I can run Format without problems both on hardware and
> emulators, I still think there may be more than just the Format code
> causing your problem. Please post the exact command sequence, the Coco
> device (hardware/emulator), total memory, the type of drive and disk
> size.
>
> That your use of the command fails while most if not all other users
> have it work indicates there is some problem in addition to the Format
> command.
>
> Robert

Ah, Robert, heres another that has not been able to format a disk in
years without crashing, on a 2 megabyte coco3. This thread has managed
to get me to thinking about how I do the auto formating in my myram,
which Just Works(TM), and only demands something over a kilobyte of
working space while its formatting a 1.7 megabyte ramdisk. If I ever get
my wife back out of the shop, in condition to get herself around the
house, I might just work on that. The first problem being that that code
has no concept of a double sided disk.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)