[Coco] 8" Disks and NitroOS9

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:31:35 EDT 2018

Bill,

Well in most cases like with 3.5" drives the same settings will work
between a 5.25" and 3.5" drive.  Only thing you really need for testing is
changing the cyl value.

One thing I worry about is that if the 8" drive you are using needs the
controller to talk to it at 500Kbps rather than 250Kbps.  If it does than
you will need a modded controller that can talk to high density floppies.
Cause the standard WD1773 on the Radio Shack controller does 250Kbps.

As my knowledge on 8" drives is very limited cause I have never used one or
seen one in person.  Only information I can find online about how they work
using is in the WD1793 datasheet and it mentions 500Kbps. (*shrug*) So
hopefully someone can help on this to confirm what is needed.

Though another thing that might help is the model # and manufacturer of the
8" drive.

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |