[Coco] DriveWire Virtual Modem

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 23:19:25 EDT 2018

Keven, In RSDOS it would take some additional programming as no one has bother to do software for DriveWire in RSDOS other than a couple of patches to certain software.
As Aaron said, in NitrOS9 (old OS9 does not support DW4), it's very simple. you use the "/Nx" virtual ports to access DriveWire (much like using "/T2". Using Supercomm (I haven't tried any other OS9 term progs), You set the auto dialer file for the telnet BBS (on the internet) address & port. You also set any Hayes modem commands just as if you're using a modem. If you're already a member, you can even set your login & password. Of course all this can be done from the cmdline, I just don't remember at the moment how it's done (read the Supercomm manual for info on all this).
Start Supercomm with "supercomm /n", then.... "a" for AutoDial which brings up the menu of autodial files. Select the BBS you set, then dial. You should be greeted by the BBS.
DriveWire recognizes the modem commands and immediately goes into modem mode. That's one of the cool things about DriveWire.... it knows when you're accessing drives, modem, printer, MIDI, etc.. all from the DriveWire end. All the Coco has to do is use the right port and it functions like normal.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com