[Coco] Generic Hardware Pak

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed Mar 14 13:13:10 EDT 2018

On 3/14/2018 11:57 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> That plugged in some large Arduino, didn’t it? Then you could use Shields.
It plugged into an Arduino MEGA, and shields could then be placed on the
unit.

> Tho I suppose it could just be the “$5 Arduino” with the chip and a few support components, then run signals out to a header of some kind and be all in one. Not sure how that would be programmed tho without a ttl adapter.
In theory, you are correct, and others have suggested the same.

Concerns:

  * Arduino boards have fallen in price quite significantly. Though it
    would be trivial to add the ATMEGA168 (I have 1000 in stock here) to
    the board, programming would require a USB-capable device, which
    drives up the price.  With boards at $8.00, it is incredibly hard to
    design in the Arduino functionality under the same cost structure.
      o As well, designing in the Arduino functionality forces the
        design author to support Arduino functionality, which is not
        trivial.
  * There are many Arduino (and Arduino-like) boards, so targeting one
    speccific uC limits options.  Just within the Arduino space, if you
    target the ATMEGA128, someone will want the 328, while others will
    need the MEGA1280/2560 space.  That does not include the ARM or
    Intel options.
  * The "shield" layout is well understood and well supported.  If one
    ignore the layout and spacing, it adds more work to those hoping to
    simply buy and install a shield. I think one ignores that specific
    layout with the high risk that Coco enthusiasts will be
    significantly less interested in the product.
      o Thus, if support for the Arduino "shield" layout is required,
        this sets the size of the board, as the shield pins must be
        accessible with the unit installed in an MPI or in the Coco.
  * An all-in-one option forces the user to connect individual wires to
    a board that might be installed in the Coco or the MPI, forcing
    significant clutter.  A two board approach allows the option of
    relocating the Arduino via a common ribbon cable to an alternate
    location, where wiring is not as much a concern.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com