[Coco] Barry Nelsons SCART to HDMI (again)

Paulo Garcia paulo.astuser at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:00:34 EST 2018

Hi all,

I've seen some emails about the SCART to HDMI converter idea in order to
connect the CoCo3 to a modern monitor for little money.

(Disclaimer: a wall outlet knows more about basic electronics than I do)

I finally got around to make my own but after two days working on it , I've
got nowhere and decided to ask here....

I build the cable/converter based on the hackaday article description,
including the connection of my 5V power adapter negative wire to the GND of
the circuit.

Even after that, I see only a black and white image with thick vertical
lines which seem to be the case when the adapter is not doing anything at
all.

>From one of the comments in the hackaday page, it was mentioned that the
PIN 16 should measure around 3V, but mine shows 5V.

The only difference I have is that I am using a 100ogm 1/2 watt resistor
instead of the 1/4 watt, but as far I can understand that is only related
to the amount of current the resistor can take, so using a 1/2 doesn't make
any difference.

I wonder if someone can explain to me how the pin 16 gets 3V instead of the
5V I am connecting to input on pin 16? I am measuring the pin 16 from the
scart pin so it is disconnected from the SCART to HDMI adapter (as you can
imagine).

Maybe the problem is with the SCART/HDMI adapter, but I would like to be
sure my rgb cable is correct.

Any insight?

Thanks