[Coco] CoCo pictures to JPEG

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sat Jun 16 12:25:59 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:13:57AM -0600, Travis Poppe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:37:03PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> > What would you say to the idea of having an upload form on coco3.com that
> > can take a CoCoMax 3, ColorMax Deluxe, Rat, RLE, PMODE 3/4, and other CoCo
> > formats and convert to a JPEG picture file?
> >
> > I could do this either as a separate module/page or integrate it with the
> > Gallery somehow to accept .bin, .cm3, .mge, .rat, .rle pictures and do
> > on-the-fly conversion to JPEG before the pictures are inserted into your
> > user album.  This seems to be the best way I know to post real CoCo editor
> > pictures.
>
> Resurrecting a 10-year-old thread... Yikes!
>
> Did anything ever come of this? I've archived at least a thousand CoCo
> images in various formats and have extracted them to my PC with
> toolshed. It would be really cool if I could convert these en masse to
> either PNG or GIF format.
>
> Erik Gavriluk wrote a small Python utility to convert regular .MAX (CoCo
> Max) files to PNG, which works well:
>
> https://github.com/milliluk/milliluk-tools/blob/master/max2png/max2png.py

Erik's Python seems simple enough to understand. It could be the basis
for a number of similar, derivative scripts for the various formats.

> I've also got quite a few CM3, PIX, MGE, DS-69, etc. files I'd like to
> convert. With a bit of Linux shell scripting, it's quite easy to do with
> something like max2png.py.

Is there a good/central repository of information about these
binary picture formats? CoCopedia, perhaps? Or some random corner
of colorcomputerarchive.com?

John