[Coco] Linux User

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Sat Jul 28 13:25:42 EDT 2018

On 07/28/2018 12:27 PM, Melanie and John Mark Mobley wrote:
> I am running Linux Mint Mate 17 on a laptop.
> And Linux Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi.
>
> I am encouraged to see how many of us are running Linux.
> I think there is a OS-9/6809-Unix/Fuzix/Linux connection.

True story, the first computers I use at work were dumb terminals
on a Gimix Ghost (OS-9 LII), I'd say it cost about $3K, I'd setup
IBM clones in college along with Apple's but couldn't afford either.
My home machine was an Atari 800XL. But I couldn't believe how well
OS-9 ran and we had news feeds, an eprom burner, 5 people using it
on a daily basis (the other 3 developers were on a Hogg OS-9 68K
machine). When IBM came out with their AT (price at $4k) I was shocked
to find out it couldn't run more than one process. I think I had
to wait a few more years before Win 2.x was starting to be able to
do more than 1 thing at a time (Win 1.x was horrendous). I soured
on MS (that and embrace and extinguish). Shortly there after I
got a 3B1 and was hooked on Unix.

PS: I ran a computer installation and repair depot at our college
but didn't really use the computers for much more than assignments.
This story begins after I graduated.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com