[Coco] Multi Core FPGA ?

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Jul 23 14:02:32 EDT 2018

I don't think I'm the person who commented on multiple cores. However,
in theory any FPGA dev board could support multiple cores. An FPGA is
just a bunch of logic elements with the ability to connect them up any
way you want.  If you want to write the code for an eight-core 6309 then
you just choose an FPGA with enough logic elements to instantiate all of
the cores.  Of course there are other considerations such as timing
constraints and the logic that glues the cores together.

In effect, Gary Becker's CoCo3FPGA is a dual core system in that it
contains two processor cores.  One is a 6809 (for the CoCo synthhesis)
and the other is a 6502 (for fdc/drivewire).  Last time I checked, the
CoCo3FPGA required around 10,000 logic elements and the DE1 development
board has an FPGA chip with about 20,000 elements.  I personally have
used the 6809 core (designed by John Kent) to create a 6809 computer
with various peripherals (vga text, serial ports, keyboard port &
various other custom devices) but without the numerous gfx modes of a
CoCo 3 and I was able to fit it into and FPGA with only 4600 logic elements.

Dave