[Coco] CoCo2 vs CoCo3 changes

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jul 18 07:22:40 EDT 2018

On 17/7/2018 14:02, Kevin Becker wrote:
> So I finally broke down and bought a CoCo 3 on eBay.  It arrived today but
> I haven't had a chance to try it out yet since I'm at work.  It suddenly
> occurred to me though that I don't actually know that much about the CoCo
> 3.  I had a CoCo 2 back in the 80s and I bought a CoCo 2 last winter that
> I've been having fun with.
>
> I know it has more RAM, different keyboard layout, composite and RGB
> video.  I know the GIME provides better graphics.  Anything else I should
> know?  I'm especially curious about the MicroWare additions to BASIC to
> support the improved graphics.  Should I just RTFM or is there any sort of
> quickstart list of things to know for someone upgrading from CoCo 2 to a
> CoCo 3?

The "Unravelled" series of books for all three CoCos are in the link
below. You might want to start with the "Super Extended BASIC Unravelled"
to see how all the new commands work.
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Books/Unravelled%20Series/

This should help also. Was printed right after the CoCo3 came out:
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Books/Coco%20III%20Secrets%20Revealed%20(Microcom%20Software).pdf