[Coco] CoCo 2 vs CoCo 3 changes

Kip Koon - The Computer Doc computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 14:11:02 EDT 2018

Hi Kevin,
The Coco 3 has tremendous memory expansion capabilities.  Coco 3 has been expanded with 512KB memory cards and 1MB, 2MB memory cards as well. Bigger ones have been made, but as far as I know, only a few were produced.  The Coco 3 can run NitrOS-9 Level II quite easily.  Stock Coco 2s can only run NitrOS-9 Level 1.  I like NitrOS-9 quite a bit.  Many things have been done in the RSDOS area as well. Other people will be able to expound on those programs.  One that comes to mind is a 512KB Basic utility that would require at least a 512KB card.
I produced a solid state version several years back. Cloud-9 also has a 512KB upgrade board as well.   If you need a memory upgrade, please let me know as I would have to get some more PCBs fabricated first before I start building the card.
This is just one of many new features of the Coco3.  There is quite a bit to learn if you should desire to get the most out of it.
There is a Nitros-9 Source code repository that is used to create current Nitros-9 disks. I has been a while since I referenced the web address for the floppy disk images. The images can be used in the VCC emulator for the Coco 3 or the images can be used to create real floppy disks.
There is add-on hardware that can be used to connect up to a 32GB SD memory card that takes the place of a hard drive that can be used to mount floppy images, or large virtual hard drive images.  Your imagination is only the limit to what you could possibly do with the Coco 3!
Want to know more?  Feel free to contact me and / or other people on the list for further details.
Kip Koon