[Coco] Off Topic: BBS snippet

Steve Stroh steve.stroh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 16:27:08 EDT 2018

Jack:

These days, there are very, very few BBS systems that have phone line
(modem) access these days (that I'm aware of). It's just a pain, and
expense, to maintain a phone line for a modem.

But you can achieve much the same effect using "Telnet" via Internet,
and most of the surviving, or revived, BBS that I've heard of use this
technique.

The "easiest" way I've heard of (I'm a newbie to Retro CoCo) to get
online with a CoCo is to use Drivewire.

For myself, I'm planning to use the RS-232 port or an RS-232 cartridge
(or equivalent) to connect to a Raspberry Pi "terminal server", and
the CoCo will think it's connected via modem (though I may cheat a bit
and up the RS-232 speed a bit from the classic experience of 300 /
1200 / 2400 bps).

Thanks,

Steve