[Coco] VCC enhancement request - Corrections

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jul 15 08:10:30 EDT 2018

That did not get written correctly, maybe a "senior moment". :)

What I should have said is that I have a graphics program that uses a 640x225x4 screen. The 225
vertical results from $FF99 being modified. Also the $FF9F HVEN is set so that there are 256
horizontal bytes per screen on which the 640x225x4 is a window. A joystick scrolls over the whole image.
PMODE4 is a 256 width screen and with an NTSC composite monitor gives white, black, red, and blue
colors. The 640 width covers the same screen size so the pixels are .04 the size which gives access
to more phase relations to the NTSC color burst and therefore more artifact colors. Also there are
four intensity levels vrs. two for the PMODE4 screen, so again more color possibilities.
If you use more than one screen pixel to represent the original image pixel, the matrix can produce
256 colors (color blending) on screen without any flickering.

I would love to see this on an emulator for several reasons. Composite monitors are vanishing. PAL
monitors don't give the same results as NTSC. Composite monitors definitely suffer resolution
problems and electrical interference from the Coco and accessories while emulators on RGB systems
are immune.

Robert