[Coco] DRIVE OFF - Replacement - What Do you think.

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Jul 5 02:33:30 EDT 2018

You really need to specify the hardware on your system. That new command could be completely
unnecessary. HDBDOS for Drivewire assumes (under Disk Basic) that you either have a "hard drive"
mounted in DW drive0 or (with HDBDOS Translation ON) have all 256 DW drives "floppies."

If you have a hard drive on a real Coco, you need to have an HDBDOS ROM that does not see DW. If you
use NitrOS-9, you boot it from your hard drive. Now you can access real floppies, your Coco hard
drive, and DW drives based on the drivers installed and the descriptors.

There are tricks that can be used with multiple Basic hard drives mounted on DW.
With a multiple DOS ROM installed on a real Coco, you can manage to swap with a switch between
accessing a Coco hard drive and a DW hard drive.

Here is a method I've used to copy files or BACKUP "drives" between a real had drive and DW drives.
I use a Ram disk which is specific for drive#3. The RAM is not disturbed when rebooting the Coco, so
if I swap ROMs before rebooting, I can transfer data between Basic drives on DW and a Coco hard
drive with Basic "disks." Of course with real floppies, they can be used for transfers rather than a
RAM disk.

Robert