[Coco] RS232 to WiFi/Ethernet

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 19:58:50 EST 2018

On Jan 30, 2018 7:49 PM, "Allen Huffman" <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> Drivewire has provided telnet and "internet BBS" capability to any OS9
> software for many years now.  Even better, the user space tools like
telnet
> are designed to work with Boisy's network library, so any mechanism that
> implements these low level calls can take advantage of work already
> completed for telnet and other protocols (wget for http things for
> example).. even if they have nothing to do with Drivewire.  We already
> designed with the hope that some other mechanism would become available.

Is there any support for RS-DOS for this?

Not really.  Robert Gault added support for MIDI over Drivewire to
Ultimuse, and printing from rsdos is dead simple but requires some pokes.
No proper PRINT #? support.

The great thing about the $8 hardware solution is, with proper firmware, it
could be made to look like DW protocol for those items, and leverage the
httpd, etc. that exist for NitrOS-9 :-)

Yes.  "With proper firmware" is the thing.  For whatever reason, this
proper firmware failed to materialize during the past 6-7 years that
Drivewire was waiting for it.  There are technical challenges with the size
of basic ROMs, and the general lack of interest from talented people in
putting work into extending DOS vs just using OS9 where we already did the
work.

-Aaron