[Coco] RS232 to WiFi/Ethernet

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 12:46:30 EST 2018

 Hi all,

I am following this thread, but it isn't clear how these serial <-> wifi devices are used.

If I have a CoCo (or any other computer with a serial port) and want to connect it to a modern computer, my setup could include a serial to USB converter that connects between the CoCo and the PC. I then can use a serial comm app to communicate between both computers (such as a terminal program).

If I use the serial/wifi device, I can eliminate the serial to USB cable/converter. Instead I connect the serial/wifi device to my retro computer. I then use my modern computer network connection to communicate with the retro computer/ Is this correct?

Then, if my comm app running on the modern computer communicated with the retro computer through COM1 (for example), how would the connection to the retro computer look like now that I am using the serial/wifi device instead of ye ole trusty serial cable?

Thanks for clarifying. Thi sis an interesting device. Salvador