[Coco] Will this Toshiba floppy drive work with CoCo?

Oswaldo Aquique oaquique at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 27 23:38:17 EST 2018

Hi,
Recently got a TRS-80 floppy drive and, while testing it with my CoCo 1, I got two situations:

  1.  Upon inserting a brand new 3M DSDD floppy and typing DSKINIT, the unit will make its normal sounds and come back with ?WP ERROR. Since the floppy didn’t have any write protect tab applied, this sounded a little strange.
  2.  After a couple of attempts, ?WP ERROR went away, and now I only get ?IO ERROR.

Could this errors be caused by the drive itself or the floppy controller (first time I’m using both, although purchased separately)?

I was able to locate a Toshiba 360K floppy drive for a good price, but not sure if this could be used with the CoCo. I have attached the label picture in case any of you has seen this kind of unit before.

Any info or pointers will be really appreciated.