[Coco] pasting text into emulated coco session on xroar?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jan 27 10:25:15 EST 2018

On Saturday 27 January 2018 07:25:27 Joel Rees wrote:

> Sorry I've been a bit prickly about this question of pasting text into
> an xroar session, I know everyone was just trying to help.
>
> I have two kinds of source that I wanted to use cut and paste for. One
> was a screen listing captured to a terminal session. I wrote a little
> program to revert that to screen source this morning, which took four
> hours, so I have that cleared now.
>
> I got the source arranged into kilobyte blocks, and cat-ed the mass
> together into the right size of file for the disk image (161280 bytes)
> and I can work with the image using xroar the same way I did on the
> real CoCo ages ago. (Yeah, to ECB, the disk looks like raw data
> without a directory/file structure.)
>
> The other is source I developed using gforth and an ancient fig-Forth
> on a 6800 emulator, which runs in a terminal session, so copying and
> pasting is straightforward. This source is ordinary line-oriented and
> completely ignores screens. Since I can't figure mame out, I'm
> thinking I'll use gedit to format the source in a form more friendly
> to my Forth, then modify the program I used on the other files to
> block it, and then cat it into an image. That might work.
>
> But pasting into a session is handly, so if I can help with that,
> Ciaran, let me know.

Joel; I quite using gedit, and switched to geany quite some time back,
because gedit loved to play mix-match with my code. so if at any time,
you've had to figure out why the code you just reloaded doesn't look
like what you saved the last time, install geany and nuke gedit. I've
lost a months work, more than twice.

You'll thank me for the warning somewhere down the road. The last file
you'll have to recover will be with using geany to sort out the damage
gedit has done.

The last straw for me was that I had made a printout just before I saved,
and the printout was similarly scrambled and useless for a recovery
attempt. geany has not similarly bit me in 2+ years now.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)