[Coco] WiFi modem.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jan 20 14:31:33 EST 2018

On Saturday 20 January 2018 11:25:54 Kandur wrote:

> You are fantastic Gene,
> your help and valuble contribution over many years
> to our Coco community is very much appreciated.
> God bless you, keep on going strong!
>
> An other old dog, Kandur

Thanks for the flowers, Kandur. At 83, they are appreciated.

> Saturday, January 20, 2018, 2:09:05 AM, you wrote:
> > On Saturday 20 January 2018 04:12:37 David Ladd wrote:

One of the things I was going to do to rzsz, was, since the newer table
lookup crc routine can do a whole sectors crc in one call, the per
character call should be deprecated in favor of a final call to do the
whole 256 byte block. This would likely result in at least a 50% speed
increase, and to prevent a uart overrun, an xoff should be sent before
this single ending call, and an xon sent as the first byte of the crc
checks acknowledge transaction.

That would still require that the linux "window" be setup as 256 bytes
though just to inform the linux end to wait for that ack after sending
256 bytes.  The linux version assumes both a cleaner path, and that it
can double the packet size starting from 512 bytes everytime it gets a
good ack.  That has to be prevented by asserting the window size option
otherwise it will go on up to 8192 byte packets on a clean circuit.
Short of a complete redesign of the coco version so if on a coco3, it
can ask for and hopefully get, a full 8192 byte memory block just for
the data, keeping the rest of its vars on the local stack reg.u points
at. Bear in mind we're talking about a program thats already a bit over
36k of source compiled, that I would consider a major rewrite. I was, by
3.36, pretty well burned out and took a break because there seemed to be
little interest by the group in any further development. That break
turned into a 20 year hiatius and today I would have to first modularize
it, breaking it up into more easily editable sized pieces.

But why bother? Drivewire is at 115k, over 100x faster.

After all, I took that project on just to show Paul Jerkatis that his CS
101 prof was almost criminally wrong about a certain pair of assembler
commands that could speed up bit shifting by doing 8 bits not in a loop,
but 2 assembly commands that did a full 8 bit shift either way in just 2
commands. The compiler of course doesn't know about that, so the output
of cc2 has to be pulled into an editor, calls for bit shifting located,
and if an 8 bit shift, sub those 2 commands and remove the shifter loop.
All that of course had to be done by hand. That was just one of the
tricks that doubled its speed from 3.12 to 3.36. The fact that I did it
and the result didn't crash the machine apparently upset Paul so much he
bought a Sun workstation and left. Shrug.

Now I'm an old fart, past my code carving prime, so now I carve g-code to
run metal carving machines, its a lot simpler than remembering the whole
litany of 6x09 assembler.

I have written 90 LOC of g-code that took 3 days to run on a toy mill,
but at the end I had the sharpest carbide tipped blade on my table saw
ever. I cleaned the cherry oils off it a couple times but its made
furniture out of several thousand $ worth of cherry, mahogany, and
butternut. And cut 1/8" to 1/2" thick alu panels for numerous bits and
pieces to cnc control older machinery. My latest conversion is to a 70
yo 11 by 36 inch Sheldon lathe, putting in ball screws to drive it, and
stepper motors to turn the screws, how far and how fast all determined
by an r-py-3b credit card sized computer running the debian jessie
version of linux.

Between that, careing for my missus of 29 years who's dying of COPD, and
doing the housework that falls to me because she can't, it keeps me out
of the bars. :)

So yeah, I appreciate the flowers, thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)