[Coco] Revisit: Best (Linux) email client for this list.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 5 18:21:41 EST 2018

On Friday 05 January 2018 17:22:44 James Ross wrote:

> My 2018 new years resolution was to switch to Linux for all my day to
> day computing needs including CoCo development. Going on my 5th day
> using Lubuntu 17.10 and I like it! I love how fast it is on this 3
> year old hardware.
>
> Currently using the default email client Sylpheed and it seems to be
> old-school w/o many frills, but fast and w/ some threading support. It
> seems to work OK. BUT are there any compelling reasons to switch to
> another email client? Thunderbird / Evolution or other?
>
> What Linux (or multi-platform) email client do you use for the list?
> and why? Hope it's on topic folks! :)
>
> James

The KDE desktop was, several years ago, the desktop of choice, but its
kmail, while a pretty good email agent, suffered from single-threading,
so it froze when it went online to check for new mail.  So I offloaded
that job to fetchmail, and reconfigured kmail to only pull new mail from
the same local cache fetchmail->procmail was dropping new mail into. Now
it takes 1/2 second & part of that is playing a beep to let me kow a new
email has arrived. Then I wrote a bash script that notices that new
mail, and sends kmail a silent go get new mail message. That confirms
I'm a lazy old coot I guess. Then a couple years back some folks got
tired of new stuff in KDE, but the old bugs weren't being fixed. So they
forked it at about the KDE 3.5 release point, called it TDE, and have
been fixing old bugs in wholesale numbers ever since. I have it on 2
machines, and would never go back.

Fetchmail of course isn't a local delivery agent, so it hands an incoming
mail off to procmail, which in turns runs it thru an antivirus, and
spamasassin, so I only see the survivors although I can rescue the
spam's false positives if I want to. Viri detected gets moved and I take
a look at that mailfile about annually, usually nuking it, else it was
gradually fill up the HD. But my isp has been filtering too, so that
file after a year is only 1.6 megabytes.

So that is what I am running, and you are looking at the output of kmails
composer when reading this message. But it has taken years to arrive at
what is now a simple operation of one mouse click to reply, type my
reply, and a control+return sends it. Wash, rinse & repeat. Everything
else is automatic, proving I am a lazy old bum.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)