[Coco] Artificial Intelligent (AI) Opponent

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jan 2 11:54:55 EST 2018

On Tuesday 02 January 2018 09:51:27 Allen Huffman wrote:

> > On Jan 2, 2018, at 8:48 AM, Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:
> >
> > Cool. So the feedback on the fire nozzle was some sort of flow
> > sensor? And I’m eager to know how you would have incorporated a PID
> > loop into a garage door opener!
>
> My previous job was working on oil industry "flow computers" and the
> made big use of PID loops. I’d never heard of them before then.
>
> Now I wonder if we look up the old A-BUS interface stuff if they would
> be discussed for hardware those boards could be hooked up to.

When you are adjusting flow control, one thing that can screw a pid is
non-linear flow. Its not quite so obvious when dealing with a liquid,
but if dealing with air, the rule is 10% open=50% flow, so you have to
lay out the linkage between louvers so that the controlling arm on the
modutrol motor and the connecting linkage is nearly straight out when
the louver is closed, but the arm on the louver is also at a 90 degree
angle. So 2 louvers controlled by the same modutrol motor could nicely
regulate the amount of air being exhausted to the amount being made to
recirculate. I finally got 2 such motors, controlled by the same
proportional thermostat, to hold the intake air for an old rca
transmitter at 80F even when it was -30F outside. Since most of the
buildings heat was bleed from the transmitters output, I could walk in
the door on a -15 morning at 05:30, have it warmed up and running dead
stable by the time the anthem played. Another half hour to bring the
building up to nice and cozy and I could take a nap. Getting it running
that way, the nap was the target all along. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)