[Coco] Artificial Intelligent (AI) Opponent

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Jan 2 04:31:00 EST 2018

On Jan 1, 2018, at 9:45 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 1, 2018, at 8:49 PM, Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey, I noticed you referenced a PID controller.  What was it used for?  I wrote a PID control about 27 years ago for a 6502 board that ended up controlling hydraulic cylinders in the animatronics characters in the ET dark ride at Universal Studios Florida.
>
> Very cool, Dave. I got to see your work a number of times, then! Who did you do the work for?

At that time I was contracted by Triad Productions out of Des Moines, IA. The animatronics characters were designed by a company called Creative Presentations.  All of the analog movements were controlled by hydraulic cylinders with linear feedback potentiometers.  The controller received position information from the show control computer and used a PID loop applied to the feedback from the pots to more accurately control the movements.

> 6502 assembly, I assume?

Yes.  As I recall, a typical 4 MHz 65C02 (Rockwell) ran PID logic for up to 32 analog hydraulic valves.