[Coco] CoCo Use Poll

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Feb 26 06:41:36 EST 2018

First, let's not get caught up in micro analyzing the poll. Like Vavasour having multiple emulators and I only list it as one. Admittedly, I was under the assumption that most would be using the CC3 version, but it doesn't really matter. If a large percentage were using it a new poll would be warranted to decipher which version was being used. Remember, the poll also allows more than one entry when you vote.  It has IP detection so I don't think it will allow multiple votes from the same IP, but I haven't tried... and please don't!  I know it's not 100% accurate, but no point in making it worse. It's just a "snap shot" of voters. Would be nice if everyone on the list voted though. More after Bill's comment.

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 23:45:16 -0500From: Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>

Both of the previous assumptions of the FPGA machines are wrong. BOTH FPGA units, Coco3FPGA (Gary Becker) & CocoOnAChip (Roger Taylor), offer many enhancements. In fact, they are very similar in their enhancements, albeit, each has a different approach. Each also has things that the other does not.

Both have have extended graphics modes (higher resolutions & more colors).
Both have DIRECT access to memory out of the 64 workspace (no bank switching).
Both have "high speed" modes.
Both have built in SD card access.
Both have WiFi units.
Both have add-on boards which extend their capabilities.
Both have extended built-in sound.
Both support PS/2 Keyboards.
Both support VGA monitors.
Ext, etc, etc...

I, for one, would love to see these two projects to at least cooperate in design and share addressing modes of various functions (beyond "normal" Coco functions), making software design a little easier to be compatible on both machines, but I do not foresee this happening... ever...

Though I will say, Gary's design source is available to the users, who are encouraged to enhance and to be a part of the design process.

I currently own & run a Coco3FPGA and I hope to eventually get the CocoOnAChip as I like both designs. They are both amazing machines!!

Coco3FPGA Info:
http://www.davebiz.com/wiki/CoCo3FPGA

CocoOnAChip Info:
http://www.cococommunity.net/how-to-build-your-own-coco-4/

Thanks for clarifying Bill! Of course I didn't mean the obvious modern hardware enhancements like video and keyboards. I was really referring to the software accessible enhancements above and beyond a CoCo3. Like you, I wish the two would have the same enhancements and could share enhanced software. As it is, we'll just have to see which one gets any new software development. I don't know of any software for either that takes advantage of any enhancements. If a great piece of software comes out that uses the enhancements that will be a big push to get one or the other. Until then, the enhancements are just academic. There might be a couple demo programs, but that's all I know of.  Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548