[Coco] CoCo Use Poll

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 23:45:16 EST 2018

Both of the previous assumptions of the FPGA machines are wrong. BOTH FPGA units, Coco3FPGA (Gary Becker) & CocoOnAChip (Roger Taylor), offer many enhancements. In fact, they are very similar in their enhancements, albeit, each has a different approach. Each also has things that the other does not.

Both have have extended graphics modes (higher resolutions & more colors).
Both have DIRECT access to memory out of the 64 workspace (no bank switching).
Both have "high speed" modes.
Both have built in SD card access.
Both have WiFi units.
Both have add-on boards which extend their capabilities.
Both have extended built-in sound.
Both support PS/2 Keyboards.
Both support VGA monitors.
Ext, etc, etc...

I, for one, would love to see these two projects to at least cooperate in design and share addressing modes of various functions (beyond "normal" Coco functions), making software design a little easier to be compatible on both machines, but I do not foresee this happening... ever...

Though I will say, Gary's design source is available to the users, who are encouraged to enhance and to be a part of the design process.

I currently own & run a Coco3FPGA and I hope to eventually get the CocoOnAChip as I like both designs. They are both amazing machines!!

Coco3FPGA Info:
http://www.davebiz.com/wiki/CoCo3FPGA

CocoOnAChip Info:
http://www.cococommunity.net/how-to-build-your-own-coco-4/