[Coco] Frank Hogg Labs E-Forth, patched to run on the CoCo3FPGA - Drivewire issue

Leslie Ayling layling at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 25 21:24:24 EST 2018

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the further testing.

> When I type: origin
> The system comes back with: origin ?

> Since origin is one of the system memory boundaries, this error
> concerns me.  However, I agree with you that so many duplicate
> dictionary entries probably means that all those commands are already
> loaded, but I was thinking maybe they have to be loaded again - nah,
> that’s not right.

If I try:     here origin - u.
I get:        origin ?

If I do a:   system definitions
then:        here origin - u.
I get:        18746 ok

-----

> And, again, when I go ahead and type: 3 load
> The system comes back with: ( ?
> I believe this is the ( at the beginning of line 0 on screen 3.  This
> strengthens my concern that we are dealing with something to do with
> Drivewire on the CoCo3FPGA.

I tried it on the VCC 2.01b emulator using the drivewire port and HBDOS
1.4 roms.

Typing : 3 load
Doesn't work for me either, I just get a   load Sector not found on disk
error message.

Remember, EForth takes over the machine completely, and doesn't make any
calls to the roms.
The inbuilt drivers don't appear to "speak" drivewire :o(

> We may not be able to do anything about E-Forth not wanting to deal
> with Drivewire.
> And, not having Drivewire on the CoCo3FPGA will mean that one cannot
> save any of the new code that may be entered, effectively neutering
> the system for any real use.

Don't give up that easy!

I've disassembled most of the program now. The actual drivers which talk
to the FDC chip are quite small.
Most of the routines are actually forth code executing.

See what I can come up with....

Cheers,
Leslie