[Coco] Was DCD ever useful on the RS-232 Pak?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 25 00:00:22 EST 2018

CORRECTION:

> On Feb 24, 2018, at 10:56 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> This is the situation I am in. As soon as I toggle on true DCD detection, I am then locked out of Zimodem. If I have auto-answer on, and someone connects, I get DCD and stuff works. As soon as they close the connection, I can no longer send commands (no TX lights blink, even) to the zimodem.
>
> Can someone refresh my memory to how this worked back in the 80s and 90s? I ran multiple BBSes but don’t really recall how this worked.

I just ran Ultimaterm, and it DOES work — I type blind, but it works.

That’s what I want.

But Greg-E-Term seems to not let me do anything.

So it’s software controlled?

In Ultimaterm, as soon as I drop DCD, I can still type and see TX/RX and see lights blink as Zimodem sends responses, it just doesn’t show up.

But in Greg-E-Term, no DCD means it doesn’t even send, apparently.

I’ve been using GETerm primarily because I thought it was be a good “lowest common denominator” test… Something that works on a CoCo 1, 2 or 3.

So what’s the scoop on GETerm? Do others work like this?

		— A